Since the beginning of the pandemic, international students have always faced unique challenges and it was almost impossible to accelerate their career journey. Borders of many popular education destinations were closed to curve the line and restrict the spread of Covid-19 infection among the community.
Hello international students, welcome back to Canada!
Now the Canadian government is all set to welcome back international students after seemingly a long period of time. Students can now go back to their dream destination to enjoy offline classes. The government of Canada is exhibiting eminence as being extremely supportive to international students and universities in Canada are regaining their normalcy with improved practices.
All travellers, including international students regardless of citizenship entering Canada, must follow testing and quarantine requirements to keep everyone in the country safe. If you have been planning to begin your studies in Canada , or return to the country as an international student or student dependent, you are supposed to qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller.
To qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller:
- You must have no symptoms of Covid-19 infection.
- You must provide evidence of the Covid-19 negative molecular test result (taken within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your flight to Canada)
- You must have taken a complete series of accepted Covid-19 vaccines.
- You must have received your last dose of vaccine at least 14 days prior to the day you enter Canada.
- Upon arrival, you must have uploaded the vaccination in ArriveCAN (a government-approved free platform to update your information when entering Canada).
Apart from being eligible as a fully vaccinated traveller, as an international student, you must also fulfil the requirements as below:
- Have a valid study permit or a letter of introduction that shows the approval of your study permit
- Proof to show that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay
- Must be a student of a Designated Learning Institution (DLI), which has been approved by its province for its Covid-19 readiness plan.
- Complete a 14-day quarantine period after arriving in Canada in spite of being a fully vaccinated student.
Note: If you are a fully vaccinated traveller, carry proof of vaccination.
The COVID-19 Readiness Plan
This plan is a blueprint that helps you get familiar with the safety standards taken by your DLI, in order to protect the well-being of enrolled students and the surrounding community. You can also understand how your institution is equipped to provide support, food, and medication during the mandatory quarantine period.
Even if you meet all the requirements as stated above, the border services officers will look into certain factors to reassure and finalize your eligibility. Your reason for travelling and your ability to complete a quarantine period minimum of 14 days will be tested upon your arrival. Another important piece of information is that you are not restricted to take your classes online when you are under quarantine. But it is crucial that you complete your quarantine plan before attending on-campus classes.