The Right Way to Apply for UK Student Visa

Interested in applying for a student visa to study abroad in the UK but not sure how? Here are some things you will need to know!

To apply for a general student visa in the UK, you will firstly have to ensure that you meet the requirements as listed below:

  • You are age 16 or above
  • You are able to read, speak, understand and write English
  • You have been offered a place on a course
  • You have sufficient financial funds to pay for your course and finance yourself (The sum will vary according on your own circumstances)
  • You are from a country that is not in the European Economic Area (EEA) inclusive of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland



To apply for the visa, the earliest time you will be able to apply is 3 months prior to starting your course in the UK. The processing time on the status of the visa should usually take approximately 3 weeks. However, if you would like your visa to be processed at a faster pace, you can opt for priority visa service from VFS Global which will allow you the decision of your visa to be made within 5 working days. Additional cost will be incurred in this case.



If you are applying for this visa from outside the UK, you have to apply for Tier 4 (General) student visa online and it will cost you £348 per person. Other than that, you will need to pay for the healthcare surcharge which is required for your application. You must complete the payment and return to the online immigration application in less than 30 minutes. You may use this Healthcare Surcharge Calculator to calculate the total sum you will need to pay. If you opt for priority visa service, you will need to bear the additional cost of RM1,276 on top of visa application fees of £348.


Tuberculosis Tests

If you are a citizen of these countries, you have to undergo tuberculosis tests at the approved panel clinics in Malaysia if you are studying for more than 6 months in UK as part of the requirement by the UK immigration.


Bio-metric Appointment

Once you have submitted your visa and made the payment, you will have to get your fingerprint & photograph (biometric information) taken at the dedicated visa application centre in Malaysia. You will be told during the application if you need to bring anything along to your appointment. You will have to collect your biometric residence permit within 10 days of the intended arrival date at UK (even if you actually arrive at a later date)


Length of Your Stay

You may arrive in the UK up to 1 week before you course starts if the course duration is 6 months or less. However, you may arrive up to 1 month before, if your course lasts more than 6 months. The length of your stay will vary on the kind of course you are doing and what study you have already finished.


Things You CAN & CANNOT DO

With the UK visa, you are able to study or work as a student union sabbatical officer. You may also apply from inside or outside the UK and extend your stay. Other than that, you can work in most jobs which will depend on the level of your course and the kind of sponsor you have. You may able to bring in family members (dependents) subject to the course that you will be going for.

However, this visa will not grant you access to public funds or allow you to work in certain jobs, such as being a professional sportsperson or sports coach

study at an academy or a local authority-funded school (also known as a maintained school). You can ask our friendly counsellors to find out more about the terms and conditions of the visa.


Documents You Will Need to Prepare

Before applying for your visa, you will need to acquire a current passport (you will need to leave a blank page for your visa) or other valid travel documentations that you have. You may also need proof that you have the financial backing to support yourself and pay for your course as well as proof of parental or other legal guardian consent (and proof of your relationship with them) if you are under 18. Other than that, you will be required to provide your tuberculosis test results if you are from a country where you have to take the test. Other additional documents may be required of you depending on your circumstances.

Still unsure of what else you may need to know? Do not hesitate to contact AECC Global Malaysia for further information now!

Related Posts


Let's get social.

Get In Touch

Study Destinations

Australia                      USA

Canada                        UK

New Zealand              Ireland

Copyright © 2024 aecc. Useful Links | Glossary | Terms of Use | Privacy PolicySite Map
Get in TouchAECC SearchAECC StudentCall Us